Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Midnight Delhi airport transit

Hi my flight arrives in New Delhi around midnight and I%26#39;m flying out again on another international flight seven hours later.





My problem is I can%26#39;t check my bags through so have to go through immigration, pick them up and re-check in.





Given how slow immigration can be (I have transit visa) and how long in advance I need to be back (and Delhi traffic!) I think I don%26#39;t really have enough time to make it to a hotel, but wondering how far before a flight check-in opens.





And before it opens is there anywhere to sit (or even better, some kind of lounge) in departures area? I%26#39;m a woman travelling alone so just want to make sure I won%26#39;t have to wait outside the building in the small hours of morning.





Many thanks for any advice



Midnight Delhi airport transit


PS I realise there is a Clipper lounge but seems you have to get through immigration to reach it, and I can%26#39;t do that until checked in (happy to be corrected if I%26#39;ve got this wrong!)



Midnight Delhi airport transit


I was at the IGI just two days back to pick up my brother and found that much has changed over the last one year. First immigration and bag collection took all of 45 minutes. Second you don%26#39;t have to wait outside the building with small kiosks for company anymore! Bring yourself a book and lounge about in the cafes (Coffee Day, Flavours) - these are in the Arrivals just before you wheel out from the exit doors. I actually spent a perfectly entertaining hour just people watching - yawning hotel drivers, boisterous extended families with garlands, (clearly overwhelmed) first timers to India, and experienced ones at the pre-paid booth rattling off Paharganj addresses. Also overheard a (disappointed?) Lonely Planet possessor - ';Where are the touts?';!!!!





If you tire yourself of this scene get out of the Arrivals and ask to be directed to the Departure lounge which is on the next level. Right opposite to this is a food court - its called %26#39;Food Talk%26#39; I think. I can%26#39;t say what the food is like but the Walnut Marble cake was outstanding. Ok so this doesn%26#39;t sound a lot, but as you know the airport is undergoing renovation and construction of newer terminals, so these places are a temporary arrangement.




You are taking an International flight both INTO and OUT of Delhi right?




Yes, both international flights. Good to know there%26#39;s walnut cake :) Many thanks!




This is the official site of the Delhi airport:



http://www.newdelhiairport.in/





Their FAQ section for passengers has some useful info, please take a look:



http://www.newdelhiairport.in/faq.asp





- Deepa

No comments:

Post a Comment