Friday, March 26, 2010

Things that happen in Goa

I have read on this forum that Goa is a safe place and that nothing bad happens to holiday makers. I was reading the papers on the internet this morning and found 2 articles that made me think about it.





www.navhindtimes.com/story.php…





This one is about the rise in crime against foreigners. When I was in Baga I heard these kind of stories but people told me they were not true and I believed them.





Then I read this one about a party at a beach shack





…indiatimes.com/Cities/…4307751.cms





Would rather believe these than things I heard in the shack. Read them and make up your own mind.





Things that happen in Goa


Lots of things happen in Goa,lots of things are covered up in Goa.



Things that happen in Goa


Think Goa is still safer than lots of places but crime happens everywhere and Goa is no exception. Hard to comment about the beach party unless you were there and don%26#39;t think I%26#39;d ever be in that sort of situation! I have been a victim of crime in Goa myself as I had my bag snatched by 2 men on a motorbike in Candolim 3 years ago and personally I don%26#39;t have much faith in the Goan police. Just keep your wits about you, carry small amounts of money and leave anything of value that you don%26#39;t need in your hotel safe. It%26#39;s not advisable to go wandering around on the beach on your own at night either.




Totally agree with everything you say Gemma. It%26#39;s only a small minority of people who commit these crimes and most of them are from %26#39;out of state%26#39; ie. not Goan%26#39;s. The locals are just as concerned as the tourists.




and of course nothing bad ever happens in this country......




Thank you for bringing these items to attention. It%26#39;s always better to know about these things first to ensure that you%26#39;re not naive in situations. I think it%26#39;s easy to %26#39;wear rose-tinted glasses%26#39; about a place that appears laid back etc. I will ensure that we have our wits about us and take onboard advise, but without spoiling our holiday. Only 2 weeks to go!




virago750Essex - It%26#39;s only a small minority of people who commit these crimes and most of them are from %26#39;out of state%26#39; ie. not Goan%26#39;s.





Where in these 2 articles did it say that ';out of state'; people committed these crimes.



You really ought to read the local newspapers (on line if you are out of India) to see who commits crime in Goa. Goans commit terrible crimes on their fellow Goans as well as others.





By the way the last 2 youths caught bag snatching were from Mapusa - born and bred.





From the Herald



A minor girl was allegedly gang raped in the Mollem village here, police said Friday.



The 17-year-old girl was allegedly repeatedly raped by five youths, including a local panchayat member on Wednesday night, they said.





So Goans are not perpetrators of crime????




So Goans are not perpetrators of crime????





I%26#39;m sorry but where in my posting did I say that?????





I think that the %26#39;foreigners%26#39; arrested at the beach party could be classed as being from out of state, don%26#39;t you?????





I do read the papers from India and I also read the papers from the UK. The original posting mentioned crimes against tourists in particular, and I voiced my personal opinions on the subject. I thought that was the whole point of the Forum.




I think it%26#39;s important to keep things in perspective - of course very few places are crime free and certainly not Goa.





Many people seem to forget to pack their common sense when going on holiday.



Just because it%26#39;s an exotic destination doesn%26#39;t mean that you shouldn%26#39;t be aware at all times that bad things may happen.





Leaving cameras, sunglasses, wallets etc unattended, handbags hanging on the backs of chairs, flashing lots of cash, maybe even being a litle tipsy can all result in an unfortunate incident that will probably spoil your holiday.




I felt very safe as always in Goa this year. I met a shack owner who told me his very friendly dog was a good guard in the night time. He said he had a problem with thieves as where he slept was unsecure, I asked him if they were stealing his money, Oh no, he replied, they are after my soap and toothpaste! We all know there is good and bad in every race, creed and country, but I personally have never felt unsafe in Goa. (Apart from in TukTuks)!!




Hi Mooncake





You obviously do not read bruahy%26#39;s daily update he often high lights incidents out here but have you seen what goes on every day in this place it must be frightening living there



http://www.derbyshire.police.uk/news/1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment