Sunday, March 28, 2010

Good Tailors/Jewellers in Candolim

So sorry, I know this is a repeat posting and there are many others like it but just wanted an up to date view of both good tailors and jewellers in or close by to Candolim. Husband got two lovely suits last time from a little shack by the Marriott hotel in Panjim, but wanted something a little closer to Candolim. We also used %26#39;Chandlers%26#39; (or something similar) on main stretch in Candolim as well for replacing a stolen wedding ring and are thinking of getting me a nice eternity ring this time. Want it to fit in to my wedding/engagement ring (which are quite unusually shaped) but need to know that my rings are in good/trustworthy hands in order to leave them - am VERY wary! Should I risk it or not?



Good Tailors/Jewellers in Candolim


Hi, in my opinion an excellent jewellers in Candolim is Ashoka and a really nice tailors is Super Emporium, both on the main Candolim road.



Just out of interest another excellent tailor is Paul in the Marinha Dourada hotel, Arpora. ( Although this is a little way out of Candolim. )





Hope this helps!



Good Tailors/Jewellers in Candolim


Just got back from candolim. Had a diamond ring made at ashoka jewelers. Was so dissapointed after 3 times he could not get the ring right, he even tried to grt me to put hand cream on so it would fit telling me i would like it when i got home. I left my 2000 rupee deposit and did not go back, my husband was very angry. This has taught me a lesson to stick to my regular jeweler in future, this ring was nearly £800 and was not going to pay that amount when i was not happy, this is the first time i have had a problem with a jeweler but as ashoka had good reviews i thought i would try him.




bought a ring from a friend who had it made at ashoka



the tanzanite has a big flaw/crack in it so emailed him he was no help



but as we are going next week im taking it back



he said my friend must have bought it cheap !!! £420 not cheap in my eyes





now i cant get on his website so something fishy there i feel




I am really surprised and disappointed to hear of the two bad experiences as my Mum and i both had rings made at Ashoka%26#39;s 2 years ago to our own specification.



I was very dubious at the time as to whether they were going to be genuine e.t.c.



On our return to the U.K. we had them valued and they were both worth 4 times the amount we had paid!





We were thrilled to bits with them. Sounds like we were the lucky ones!




Spent £3000 3 WEEKS AGO at Popin Jewellers Beach Road, NEXT DOOR TO THE GREEN JACKET Restuarant.



Had bought with them last year, our first time in Goa and was very happy, so went back this year.



While we were there my daughter emailed me a picture of the Wedding Ring she liked from a shop close to us at home, and asked if the boys at Popin could copy it, so the jeweller set up his laptop so i could show him.



The ring was in Platinum with 2 rows of Diamonds across the top, got home and the Daughter is over the moon, not only with the ring but the price as well.



To buy the ring here is £2800, paid £1150 out there.



Got the invoice for the purchase of the Platinum which was brought from Mumbai.



Was told the quality of the Platinum is better out there.



We are going to send the ring for valuation, it will be sent to Birmingham Assay office for this, along with the Diamond Ring, Diamond Bangle, Pendant that i had made.



I have no fears that the items are not genuine, i trust these boys.



I am not in any way connected to this shop, apart from their Diamonds,LOL.



I can only speak from my own experience, but hope everybody will be treated the same, i am sure they will.



Another Guarantee is pay with your Credit Card.



It is a risk when you dont know who you are dealing with, this i felt last year, i have read some reports on here but never about Popin, if i am Wrong please correct me.




My friend bought diamond earrings for £400 from Ali Jewellers, at Goveia Holiday Homes (go up track opposite Cafe Coffee Day, Candolim) and they were valued at £1800 for insurance, which I think is excellent.





I left Ali a ring I bought in Kerala to re-set for me, which he did beautifully at reasonable cost. He has a very small shop, but can make things to order - his craftsmanship is excellent and I would recommend him.





I also bought emerald and diamond earrings at Chandra%26#39;s Jewellers, Candolim (which I think is the Jeweller you refer to as ';Chandlers';). Have not had them valued yet, I paid £500 but expect them to be at least double for insurance when I do get around to it, as they are beautiful.





You are right to be wary, as there are some scary stories on this forum!




shazdenham



Was it just the sizing that Ashoka didn%26#39;t get right?





My fingers do tend to swell up on holiday, I always have rings made (not at Ashoka) to the size of one I wear. It%26#39;s quite tight when I%26#39;m on holiday but fits fine at home.



I had one ring made that was quite broad and it was really tight when I tried it on but I was pretty sure that it would be OK back home and it was.




THank you all for your replies. Transferring info into my travel journal ready for holiday in 2 weeks time.



Taffy - can I just clarify that %26#39;Poppins%26#39; is in Candolim?



Will check out all the recommendations and see how I feel once I%26#39;ve met the people running the shop. Wouldn%26#39;t mind so much if was just ordering a ring, but am just so wary to leave my ring with them, but think I will need to if its going to fit in with them?



Anymore recommendations very welcome, also any comments on the jewellers already mentioned. Thanks again, Su.x




Hi Prettypolycat it was not just the sizing. When the ring was made it was very thick gold and it looked chunky and not elegant like the one in the shop window. He tried to tell me that i was getting more gold for my money and i would like the ring when i got it home to england.He made the ring smaller than i wanted even though i told him my fingers swell at home and have had to have rings made bigger in the past.On two visits he tried to put hand cream on so the ring would fit, we never went back the forth time because we were so fed up with going back and forth.




Hi sisat su I have had a ';trilogy'; ring (1.28 carat) made by Harry @ living jewels Candolim.



I am very happy so is the local jewellers where I work ';rocks'; he called them.



I guess you take your chance but if you are recommended then you feel safer. The jewller we used is only to aware of the internet %26amp; his reputation.



Lots of guests from Aldeia Santa Rita visit him.



He never asks or takes a deposit.



He is as good as his word.





Peruna.

No comments:

Post a Comment