Friday, March 26, 2010

Nationwide Debit card

Just heard on the BBC news that Nationwide have finaly announced that they are to introduce charges for the use of these cards outside of Europe.



Not sure when,but a great shame as we used ours throughout our holiday without a hitch and without charge.



BWSW



Nationwide Debit card


Of course, you%26#39;d have missed it all. See below:





tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297604-i6045-k2…





PS. Hope you had a great holiday :)



Nationwide Debit card


Hi,





Everyone seems to be %26#39;up in arms%26#39; because Nationwide are going to charge for using a Nationwide Flexi account ATM card card abroad. Why? It%26#39;s only 1%!!!





My bank charges me upto £9 per withdrawal and I will be opening a Nationwide Flexi account when I go back to the UK in June regardless of if they charge 1% or not.





Which is cheaper:-





R20,000/- (£281) + 1% (£2.81) = £283ish or about



OR



R20,000/- (£281) + 2.75% charge for handling(£7.73) + an additional 2% transaction charge (min £1.50 max £4.50) (£4.50 here) = £294.50





It%26#39;s £11.50 (R816/-) more expansive to use my card as opposed to getting a Nationwide Flexi account. That%26#39;s enough to buy all the items for 1 Sunday lunch for all our 20 children and %26#39;no%26#39; they don%26#39;t get small portions.....





Please feel free to correct me if the charge is more than 1%





Regards





Paul



Happy Children%26#39;s Home - Helper




While in India for 6 weeks in January and February, Nationwide blocked my card three times. This was despite me telling them that I was going there. It only took a call to the UK to sort it out each time, but make sure you have the number with you. The number from Goa is 00441793656789.





interestingly I was told by a senior business manager in RBS that you ';should not depend on your Maestro card abroad, as it may not work'; Mine has not worked in my last three trips abroad, and they are unable to sort this out. Mind you I am getting a years free banking in compensation, worth £153. I can see us all having to go back to travellers cheques at this rate. Anyone else had a problem?




HI i am getting some dental work done whilst in Goa next week, i didnt plan on taking a large amount of cash with me but have set up a nation wide flex account so i could use the card without charge, i am a little worried now regarding this card being blocked whilst away leaving me without cash for the treatment..what would you advise ?




We have spoken to Nationwide today regarding the blocking of cards..





They assure us this will not happen....;-)





Will have to wait %26amp; see....




Badgerlad. They assured me that it would not happen as well, but it did, three times!! The best way is to keep your withdrawals to under £300 per day, and ahve the UK number handy. When you have established your identity, they can fix this in a few minutes. Do not depend on your cards, always keep some spare cash in case this happens. Finally do not believe that this will not happen to you, I know a number of people who have had their cards blocked.




HI,



When I went to Goa end of Feb/beginning of March, I took my Nationwide debit card, Nationwide credit card and one more credit card just in case.





I also kept £30 in cash in the safe as an emergency.





I only used my debit card for ATM withdrawals and never had any problem. I used it 6 times and only withdrawn about 3500 - 5000 Rupees at the time though.




Myself and 2 others used our Flex Account cards many times whilst in Goa last year and had no problems. I guess the maximum any of us were withdrawing at any given time was between £10 and £50. I guess if you%26#39;re going to be withdrawing a lot of money then this will flag up at Nationwide HQ as being possibly dodgy.





Mike.




I am not sure if the amount has anything to do with it, I think it may just be bad luck. I do not like to carry my card so generally withdraw 20,000 rupees at a time. All I can tell you is that they blocked my card three times due to ';unusual activity on the account';. Granted they sorted it very quickly, but I just want to point out to people that they cannot depend on getting money out, and should always have a small emergency fund. Having said that it is still the best way to withdraw money, and still will be even when they add the 1% charge. They are way better than Royal Bank of Scotland.




We got our Nationwide card blocked, yes it was easy to sort out the number is on the card, but it was a bit of a shock as I asked them before we left if I needed to notify them and they said No. It is law in India to charge for using debit as well as credit, just be aware as I thought I was being ripped off when they charged for my debit card.

No comments:

Post a Comment