Monday, December 12, 2011

my trip report -- 3/7 to 3/22 - still ongoing

So, here is just a general brain dump. I have seen a lot of India at this point. I think I%26#39;ve been fairly aggressive way beyond what the books have as suggested itinerary.

3/7 - arrive Mumbai. Nothing of note. Arrived really late and it%26#39;s a hike from the airport. Air India flight EWR to London -- flight was easy.

3/8 - went to the gate and Elephanta Island -- walked around and saw some of the hotels (Taj, beautiful hotel), walked some of the main street areas, and some museums. Sort of just soaking in India. I had no travel plans other than two nights hotel stay. Mumbai was intriguing. Tried to go out at night -- but the few places I went stopped serving around 11p and at most there were a handful of people out.

3/8 - went to Juhu beach at night. Dumpy beach. Trash everywhere. Nothing of any interest that I could find. Ate at the JW marriot -- buffet -- decent meal and nice hotel.

3/9 - early flight to Bangalore. Arrived no hotel, no destination, anything. Cab driver introduced me to some folks that put me up in a flat in the Diamond District. Had a servant that came for breakfast, etc. Found a travel agent to help me book the rest of my journey -- big scam. Claimed 7000 rupees a night for a houseboat. But, hooked me up with a driver. Went out at night -- checked out a place called %26#39;Beach%26#39;-- hookah bar, decent music, about 20 people or so in the club. Met the manager -- seemed like a decent guy. Was very friendly to me. Arranged plans for the rest of my trip (houseboat, kovalam, periyar, etc -- more on this later, it gets interesting).

3/10- explored the streets of bangalore. It was Holi - no notable Holi celebration to note. But, govt and things were closed, so very little sight seeing possible. It was one of thost govt shopping day scams -- so people were out in force soliciting.

3/11 - left early to fly to Kochi...had the driver that I was booked for for 10 days pick me up at their airport. Spoke very little english, knew very little of the area (frequently asked for directions -- pretty sure he drove from Bangalore to Kochi as he had KA license plates). Drove me to the Abad on MG road -- dumpy hotel - $50 USD a night. Pretty sure something in that hotel air or air conditioning made both me and my driver sick. Went to Fort Kochi -- walked the route Fort Kochi to Matancherry which was cool (spice markets). The fishing nets are sort of stupid. The area around there is a massive tourist trap. The streets of Matancherry were interesting to peruse. The area has been severely hit by the economy and people are really aggressive. Went back to the main land and walked MG road and side streets the rest of the day. Tried to go out at night to Loungevity -- had on jeans and flip flops and a button down and was turned away. What is this, NYC?

3/12 - went to Cherrai beach. Really far away by rickshaw. 30km or so from MG road. The towns along the route are interesting to see. Gives you a taste of the rural Kerala life. Spent the day at Cherrai.

3/13 - driver wanted to leave at 9a for Periyar. I didn%26#39;t know how far away it was. So, I assumed it%26#39;d be fine. Arrived Periyar (Green Resort, which is a nice new resort in Thekkary) around 2 or 3p. There%26#39;s nothing of interest to me except the views on this almost 5 hour trip to Thekkary. Was optimistic about the Periyar reserve. Ate some food, took a nap -- was too late to see anything in Periyar. Dissapointed.

3/14 - woke up 6a for Boat ride on Periyar. Total waste. Cool scenery -- saw a few bison or cows or something. People said they were bison -- they were so far away, when I zoom in on my camera photos after getting home, they just look like cows. Maybe saw some moose too. Birds. Water otters. Big deal. 2 hours later -- talked to some Americans on the walk back to the driver about the north vs the south. Decided I%26#39;d probably go crazy if I had to spend 2 more days on a houseboat, 3 days in kovalam, etc. Got back to Thekkary - found an Internet cafe...booked a flight to Delhi and a hotel. Apologized to the driver, asked him to take me to the Kochi airport. I didn%26#39;t find anything redeemable about the south -- sorry. The beaches are unfortunate at best compared to a place like thailand, the carribean, etc. I don%26#39;t know why you%26#39;d ever go to Kerala for the beaches when the Maldives are so close. Took 8p flight to Delhi.

3/15 - got to Delhi hotel around 1a. Great botique hotel. Great staff (not saying the name since I%26#39;m still at the hotel). Got some sleep, woke up early and did Old Delhi. Chandni Chowk and Red Fort. Chandni Chown is ---- insane, disgusting and fascinating.

3/16 - Day trip to Agra. Grueling drive there and back. Taj -- what else is there to say.

3/17 - today -- needed some down time. spent today shopping at Raijpour Garden and Rajiv Chowk area. Indian Malls are interesting -- unpopulated. The Bazaars are fascinating. Saw some Americans which was a nice touch and something that I%26#39;ve missed for the previous 10 days...Delhi is a crazy city. It is total madness and I love it. It is the most Westernized as far as I can tell -- at least where I%26#39;ve been. Metro is great. Some night live to speak -- although I went to %26#39;Dublin%26#39; the night of 3/15 and was one of 3 people in the bar. Hopefully tonight at Agni or F-bar is better.

3/18 - plan is to do all the main sights in Delhi.

3/19-3/21 - haven%26#39;t figured it out. May take a random flight to another city (far north or west maybe) or do Jaipur and Udaipur. Have to be in Mumbai 7a on 3/22 for flight home.

So far the experience has been intereseting. I%26#39;ve taken the opportunity to take the back alleys in places like Mumbai, Delhi, Kochi, etc where a lot of people that look like me probably don%26#39;t go. Amazing what there is to see, smell, avoid walking in, etc. Getting off the Metro at 6p today in Delhi with all the pollution, noise, people and cars brings an energy like I%26#39;ve never felt before in any other city.

Figure I%26#39;ve been on the go so far -- bouncing around all over -- so interested in where to spend my remaining 3 days. Figure I may only get to India once, so willing to take cheap flights and exhaust myself to see the %26#39;don%26#39;t miss destinations%26#39; -- even if they are on the other side of the country. Thoughts??

my trip report -- 3/7 to 3/22 - still ongoing

Nice Report !

Just One suggestion.. Do not miss Jaipur as well as Udaipur.

my trip report -- 3/7 to 3/22 - still ongoing

So where are you now 447s?

  • lips hurt during
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment